A friend of the couple killed in a house fire in Hibbing says they were very active outdoors and good, genuine people.
Zach Johns says he met Steven and Patricia Gillitzer through a hiking group.
"I can't even picture them without smiles on their faces," said Johns, "You always just think of them just coming up on a ridge, just big old grin, just joking around having a good time. That's a good way to remember them you know."
Steven and Patricia were killed in a house fire early Tuesday morning. Two of their young grandchildren also died following the fire. Steven, a former Hibbing Fire Captain, pulled a third grandchild from the house, saving his life.
There is no word yet on the cause of the fire.
In this tragedy, the Hibbing fire department is reporting what it calls one "glimmer of hope". The department says they've now heard many local stores are running out of smoke alarms, with this house fire raising awareness of the importance of smoke detectors.