Carbon Monoxide survivor shares story to help others avoid poiso - KBJR 6 Your Weather Authority: News, Weather & Sports

Carbon Monoxide survivor shares story to help others avoid poisoning

Posted: Updated:
VIRGINIA, MN -

KBJR 6 is still waiting to hear the latest on the conditions of seven people hospitalized due to Carbon Monoxide poisoning in a Virginia home.

Five first responders were also hospitalized.

With others still coping from their recent encounters with the deadly gas, we spoke with one survivor's story, and his warning to others.

Norman Anderson says his son was his wake up call.

"He was trying to make his way to the bathroom and was kind of fumbling everywhere and tripped over something"

Then he noticed he didn't feel quite right either.

"At first I thought okay, both of us just have the flu or some kind of bug," said Anderson.

"The fatigue, the red skin, the nausea- kinda almost flu-like type symptoms the so just that really exaggerated type of movement that may appear to almost be somebody might be drunk or impaired of some sort," said Virginia Fire Marshal Chris Clark.

The signs of Carbon Monoxide poisoning. 

According to fire marshal Chris Clark, Anderson's case at Billy's Bar and Cafe was one of two major CO incidents the Virginia Fire Department responded to just in the past few weeks. 

Just this past weekend, an incident in Virginia sent seven residents and five first responders to the hospital.

Clark says the furnace and appliances likely contributed to that poisoning.

"It's very important to reduce these types of issues by having your furnace maintained annually by having your furnace maintained annually, having your chimney and flues cleaned out."

As for Anderson, he was days away from replacing his old furnace, the source of the CO and, at the time, he had no alarm.

Our carbon monoxide detector failed.

Fortunately, Anderson says he was able to call for help so everyone made it out safely. 

"I've already thought of myself as the type of father that would never let anything bad happen to my kids and it's so uncontrollable, you know, there's nothing scarier than not being able to do something about the situation your in."

A chilling reminder of what's in the hands of these small machines.

Anderson has since replaced his furnace, changed his CO detector, and is looking for a second one.

As for the Virginia incident, investigators say at least two carbon monoxide detectors in the home did not have batteries. 
 

Powered by Frankly