The case of a Superior boy who is fighting to compete in Minnesota dance competitions after being barred because of his gender is moving forward.
According to the Pacific Legal Foundation, who is representing Superior High School sophomore Kaiden Johnson, a complaint has been filed Tuesday with the U.S. Department of Education Office for Civil Rights.
Johnson was denied the chance to compete in a dance competition in Duluth last year because of a Minnesota Title IX rule that says boys can't be on the dance team.
The complaint asks the OCR to investigate the State High School League's policy, and take all necessary steps to end what it calls "discriminatory conduct."
If the OCR takes action, Johnson's attorneys say it could have nationwide implications.
The MSHSL says they do not comment on pending or threatened litigation.