As Aaron Pike and Joshua George, both of Champaign, Ill., barreled down the home stretch on Saturday morning, it looked more like a drag race than a marathon.
After 26.2 miles, the two wheelchair racers officially crossed the line with the same time --- 1:29:02. After further review of the photo finish, it was Pike who took the tape for his first-ever Grandma's victory.
"I've come in second or third a couple times," he said. "So it's finally nice to win for once."
As for the close finish, Pike says it's an exhilarating, if not a little dangerous, feeling.
"It's close quarters to come flying through the finish with two people side by side," he said, smiling. "It was that close all the way to the finish."
Below are the top five finishers for the 2017 Grandma's Marathon wheelchair division.
2017 GRANDMA'S MARATHON WHEELCHAIR DIVISION
1. Aaron Pike (Champaign, IL) --- 1:29:02
2. Joshua George (Champaign, IL) --- 1:29:02
3. Juan Ram Valladeres (Caracas, Venezuela) --- 1:28:45
4. Rafael Botello (Manlleu, Spain) --- 1:29:49
5. Laurens Molina (San Jose, Costa Rica) --- 1:30:13