Roger and Pam Jepson were getting ready to attended a family members funeral today.
Roger was grabbing a cup of coffee in Grand Rapids, Pam was at their home in Arbo Township. That's when disaster struck.
The home exploded, with Pam inside.
"When we arrived on the scene, everything from the house had collapsed already. We had a debris field all the way around the house" said Grand Rapids Assistant Fire Chief Bryan Zuehlke.
The explosion lifted the house off its foundation...it caught fire almost immediately afterward.
Luckily Mike Gustafson and Jim Yrjanson, two employees with Lake Country Power, were working on a power line nearby.
Jim made his way to the door, and called out to the women through the smoke.
She was dazed, but eventually responded to his calls.
Remarkably, she wasn't seriously injured.
"Meds-1 ambulance service out of Grand Rapids was summoned to the scene. They Checked over the female home owner of the residence, and deemed that she had no injuries, even though the she was inside the home at the time of the incident" said Zuehlke.
Both Men claim anybody would made the choice to help if put in their situation.
Still Jepson's family members are calling the men heroes, and the community seems to echo that sentiment.
"Just can't be more proud. Fortunate that they're out and able to be at the right place at the right time" said Jim Wimmer, Area Supervisor for Lake Country Power.
"They put themselves in danger to get her out of the residence. I have a lot of respect for what they did" added Zuehlke.
Fire officials don't have an official cause for the explosion yet...but they suspect it was a gas leak.
A Go Fund Me account has been set up to help Roger and Pam with rebuilding costs.
If you wish donate you can visit the Go Fund Me page here: http://www.gofundme.com/fundraiser-for-roger-and-pam-jepson