Birkie officials to make race decision Friday - KBJR 6 Your Weather Authority: News, Weather & Sports

Birkie officials to make race decision Friday

Posted: Updated:
HAYWARD, WI -

American Birkebeiner race officials will meet Friday to determine if the snow and trail conditions near Hayward will allow them hold Saturday's ski race as planned.

Keeping the lack of snow in mind, organizers say they're going to take into account what will be safest for the athletes. They say that might mean a shorter one way race or it could be a run instead of skiing.

Northwest Wisconsin is expected to see some new snow Friday, but whether it will be enough to hold a ski race or not is the big question.

Either way, they say they will make it a fun event, regardless of the weather. 

Hayward is still moving forward with other events Friday. The Birkie Expo will continue and a breakfast is set for Friday morning. 

However, race officials announced earlier this week that all ski events originally scheduled for Friday have been moved to Saturday, as long as the weather cooperates.  

For more details on the Birkie trail conditions and events, visit their website

Powered by Frankly